We are co-founders, friends, sister-in-laws and most importantly gung-ho moms to three very spirited little kids. Leo Goes Grr was conceptualized with the thought that our kids deserve better. They deserve better living, better ethics, better community and a better planet. Hence, it is our job as nurturers to provide them with the right foundation so that they are able to respect their environment and their earth.
After our kids were born we became more aware of the presence of harmful chemicals like BPA, lead, pesticides, and other toxic compounds that our kids are can go easily encounter. We found that our friends with young kids were also concerned about the same issues. As a result, we decided to create an online resource that would relieve parents of some of these worries by providing well-researched eco-friendly kid products. As we researched further, we found ourselves asking one question over and over again. What do terms like Eco-Friendly and GREEN mean to us? Does it mean quality wooden toys from Europe? Handmade artisan toys from small cottage industries in India? Children’s books with eco themes printed in China? It made us wonder that while all of these are beautiful, wonderful products, they are produced far from home. Why not buy local?? We have been proponents of buying local organic produce for quite some time now. We felt why not have the same philosophy for things our kids wear and touch and feel daily. We felt why not Reduce
by minimizing the use of recources and therefore impacts caused to the
environment via transportation, and support the local economy, in doing so; why not Reuse by buying high quality sustainable products that can be passed on to generations and why not Recycle by finding keepers for items that our kids have outgrown and buying items that others’ kids don’t need. As a result, Leo Goes Grr was born and we are proud of it!
At Leo Goes Grr, we believe that global sustainability begins with local sustainability. Local sustainability in turn relies on neighborhood economy. What better way to improve our own quality of life and invest in the future generations than by supporting our neighborhood economy. Combining local action with the concept of continuation leads us to a potentially sustainable economy. The question is what can I do here and now? Where do I begin?
At Leo Goes Grr, we welcome you to embark on this journey of discovery and gradual change - to change ourselves, our habits, our priorities and our lives. We believe that for the right reason and with the right tools people are willing to change for the better. What better reason do we have to initiate a change than our children. As the saying goes “a child gives birth to motherhood”. As mothers, as nurturers, we have the responsibility and the privilege to mend our ways. It is with our children that we can discover the journey to a greener way of living, a fairer world and a healthier planet.
Let Leo Goes Grr provide you with the tools with which we can implement this change in our lives:
- Leo’s Grreen Seal of Approval will be applied to well researched products in your locality to take the hesitancy out of your decision (Directory.....Coming
- Leo’s Grreen Room is for you to voice your opinion, raise questions or propose innovative ways that work for you. If we fail to persuade you, you have the opportunity to initiate a dialogue to discover for yourself the validity of our claim. (Community Blog.....Coming
- Leo’s GrRecycle Room provides you the space you need to share and reuse(ing) articles that might otherwise be headed for the landfill.
- Leo's Grreat Reminders will provide you with tidbits that can make a difference in more ways than you have ever known.
- Leo's Grreat Party can help you celebrate your child’s birthday with tips on party foods, planning, presents, and party favors from Leo’s Grreen Celebrations.
- LLeo's Grreatfulness will provide you with the opporutnity
to support a local charity or environmental organization with your purchases, plant a tree on your child’s birthday or provide quality “Thank you” favors for your guests. At Leo, the means are limitless.
In the end, its all about choices - choices that we make.